Monday, October 26, 2015

Is VolksWagen big evil corporation?


My family owns 2 VW cars. Jetta Sportwagen TDI and CC. After VW scandal broke out I am pissed.
Why VW upset me so much? My friends after listening to my litanies ask me, don't you exaggerate a bit? You were very satisfied with the Sportwagen after all so much, that you just exchanged your 5 year old model for brand new 2014 one in March.

This is my story.
When I arrived to America years ago, I was at first criticizing a lot as most Europeans do. In between other issues I complained about cars a lot. Too big, to inefficient, ugly... As European I was surprised with small number of diesel cars on the road. Europeans had tendency to comment on diesel issue about Americans being behind in car technology and lack of concern about environment, since diesel was deemed to be Eco-friendly, efficient, consuming less fuel, having smaller carbon imprint.

As soon as VW introduced its ecological improved diesel engine to the US market, me and my wife have decided to purchase Jetta Sportwagon TDI. Well we could effort to pay $2-3000 more compared to the regular gasoline model and our eco consciousness agreed to pay premium for fuel as well. In contrast to Europe, the diesel was always pricier in US than gasoline (smaller market of course). So we were happy with our VW Sportwagen since 2009 until now. Frankly agility and efficiency of the car were (are) impressive.

Then VW dieselgate happened. Our UBER moral position has suddenly changed. The times when I challenged Prius owners are gone. Whenever I look at our Jetta I feel stigma of deceived disciple of fallen TDI, intoxicating environment with poisonous NOx and having sensitive people on the sidewalks coughing and falling to the ground wherever I drive. We almost feel the eye of the public on us, almost the same way as we were looking at the GM Hummer owners. Although in their case it was not the toxicity of the fumes that mattered.

I am not surprised now that Japanese car makers all these years were struggling to design diesel engine that would pass environmental agencies and they were wondering about German ingenuity and secret technology behind the TDI success. Well here it is. It was all lye. Ugly deception that caused VW stocks to tumble, scared away car buyers all around US, Europe and Asia. Toyota regained its position as the number one manufacturer in the world and critics are preaching the end of diesel.

The customers are left with dilemma: Sue or not to sue, since perceived re-sell value of the VW TDI cars has dramatically declined and the solution to the NOx exhaust problem was not announced yet. Numerous class action law suits are on the way. This makes all involved lawyers the winners in this situation making money on both sides - VW and customers.

I will keep you posted about #dieselgate.

No comments:

Post a Comment